Still looking for last minute gift ideas? Here are some great book “pairings” with characters from those books. If you have time, you can even make some felt animal puppets to go with!
- The Mitten by Jan Brett – Consider knitting a big white mitten (or a pair of mittens) for your little one and then buying some little Schleich animals to go inside: mole, rabbit, hedgehog, owl, badger, fox, bear and mouse.
- Little Blue Truck by Nancy Shertle – Great book with vehicle noises and animal sounds. You can buy Fisher-Price Little People Farm Animal Friends to go alongside. This is one of our staples for one-year-old gifts.
- Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Rod Campbell – Currently, this is one of Elise’s favorites not only because she can lift all the little flaps, but she loves the puppy at the end. If you are getting a puppy (real or stuffed) for your little one, this would be a great book to go along.
- Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty – Pair with something for your child to build and even a little red with white polkadot scarf!
- From Head to Toe by Eric Carle – We have been using this book to practice movement and body parts. It would be fun to have a body parts poster to add another dimension to the learning process!
- Baby Beluga by Raffi – This is a great chance to introduce Raffi music (pair with a CD or Video) to your little one. Also, this beluga whale stuffed animal is pretty cute!
- Happy Hippo, Angry Duck: A Book of Moods by Sandra Boynton – Depending on the age of your little one, read this in sequence with a book of Baby Faces or pair it with the great new Pixar movie “Inside Out” to start discussing feelings and emotions.
- It’s Time to Sleep, My Love by Nancy Tillman – A great sleepy time book that we read before naps and bedtime. Pair it with a stuffed animal to cuddle up with!
Still looking for more? Here is a site with top 10 STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Math) toy & book combinations!
We always are looking for new book ideas. What are your favorites?